Neverending YA Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Time Traveler's Wife

4 posters

Go down

The Time Traveler's Wife Empty The Time Traveler's Wife

Post  Kaysbookshelf Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:13 am

Let me start by saying I have absolutely adored the book when I first read it (all those ages ago). It's definitely one of my favorites.

This being said, how do you feel about the movie? I usually like Rachel McAdams but she is very far from my idea of Claire. Eric Bana is a bit better but somehow not good enough either -- perhaps because I loved the book so much that no movie could ever come close? I keep getting enthusiastic about it and then I see a trailer and get disappointed Sad

How about you? Has anyone seen the movie yet? Did you like it? Did you think it made justice to the book?
Kaysbookshelf
Kaysbookshelf

http://www.kaysbookshelf.com

Back to top Go down

The Time Traveler's Wife Empty Re: The Time Traveler's Wife

Post  Kelpie_Fae Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:53 am

I can't exactly relate because I've never read the book ( not yet at least ) but I think I can equate this to how - I really love 'The Lovely Bones' but I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations when it's released in theaters this December. It's hard to imagine things through someone else's lens of the world when you have your own view that's been shaped by your own experiences. I guess that's why - even if the movie has a great script - it's still hit or miss.
With me - book turned movie adaptations rarely measure up to what I've concocted in my mind based on the author's words & story-telling. The only movies that came even slightly close - were the Lord of the Rings - & I wasn't too thrilled that they still cut out a lot in the first two but when Return of the King came around & I finally got to hear Frollo tell Sam how he was happy to be there at the end with him - it reminded me of when I read that bit in the book - a very emotional scene ( in both the movie & the book ) ; but that being said - I'm a huge, I mean HUGE J.R.R Tolkien fan-geek/nerd/ect.

But yeah - I guess now I'll have to go borrow 'The Time Traveler's Wife' from the library along w/ her other book - what was it called?
*thinks* oh it was - 'Hear Fearful Symmetry' ( probably read the latter first - since it's about ghosts & that'll be a quicker read for me. )
Kelpie_Fae
Kelpie_Fae

http://www.twitter.com/Opako

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaysbookshelf Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 am

Actually, I think that The Lovely Bones trailer looks great (compared to the book too). I think Susie is lovely and very well chosen. However I too have noticed some differences between the trailer and the book and I also wonder whether the movie may be better or worse than the book. It looks pretty promising though! (unlike my TTW problem where none of the main actors match my "vision" of the characters).

I have yet to read Her Fearful Symmetry -- I have it around here somewhere but didn't get around to it yet. My impression from the book reviews I read so far is that it's very different to what TTW was (but I expect it to be good too, of course).

Be sure to drop by and leave a note when you do read it, perhaps it will encourage me to bump it to the top of the TBR pile.

Oh, and needless to say, I relate to everything you said LOTR-wise Smile
Kaysbookshelf
Kaysbookshelf

http://www.kaysbookshelf.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:09 pm

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I loved it! I am waiting for the movie to come out on DVD now so I can watch it. The trailer looks good as a standalone movie but now that I've read the book I am a bit curious to see how they compare. It seems that the book has so many details that it would be impossible to include everything in the movie!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Allison Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:45 pm

I actually posted about this when I first read the book and saw the movie (because I think it was in the same week). I thought that the movie focused too much on the sad parts, which I get because the book was so long that they had to leave out so much stuff. So, they left in important, plot-affecting stuff, which I supposed would be the a lot of the sad stuff. They also left out so much of when Clare was younger and Henry visited her, which I was disappointed about.

Basically, I think I maybe would have enjoyed the movie more if I hadn't read the book, but who knows?

Allison

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:03 pm

I thought that the movie would focus more on the sad elements of the book. I am disappointed to hear about Clare's childhood being disappointing! That was one of my favorite parts of the book!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:15 pm

I found out that this movie was still playing at our $3 movie theater so I went to see it last week. I ended up liking it but the story moved so quickly that it was a bit disappointing. I like both the movie and book on their own but I wouldn't compare the two! I think that the book is so much better, especially because of the fact that it focus on Clare's childhood so much more. That was my favorite part of the book! The movie also was not as emotionally moving to me as the book. I wanted to cry when I finished the book, but the movie did not bring out the same emotions.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum