Vampires and Austen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vampires and Austen

Post  Kaysbookshelf on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 am

I cannot believe how much this trend has taken off lately!

I've been a fan of Austen all my life but the idea of her in connection with vampires never even crossed my mind. And now, all of a sudden, Darcy is a vampire, I've even saw at least a book where Jane herself is a vampire... why? This may be my old conservative self speaking, but aren't the authors today choosing to have it too easy while building up on another one's fame?

This is my opinion on the matter -- what's yours? Do you like vampires in any form and shape, so if they pervade the old boring classics, so much the better? Or are you like me, thinking that the classics would rather be left alone and every author should work his/her way on his/her own merits? Smile
Kaysbookshelf

View user profile http://www.kaysbookshelf.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Vampires and Austen

Post  Kelpie_Fae on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 am

While I simply adore vampires I can see the merit behind your dilemma.
I for one would be quite morose should vampires show up in any of Lewis Carrol work or an Edgar Allen Poe poem/short story ( albeit the latter might actually work splendidly ) .
I guess what I'm saying is there is a time and a place.

What's more, no author should bastardize a literary classic.
Even if it is to try to modernize the book so a modern audience might be more likely to pick it up.
In my mind vampires aren't always a sure fire way to make someone read something.

Vampires themselves have been bastardized enough in years past ( cough*Twilight*cough ). I should like to think Dracula and all of Anne Rice's vampires would be turning in their coffins at the stupid and unrealistic turn vampires have taken. But I got off on a tangent.

I'll end by simply saying - leave the classics alone - they speak for themselves & if you can't understand what you're saying - that's your loss.
Kelpie_Fae

View user profile http://www.twitter.com/Opako

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum